Sad cat




So, these past couple of years leading up to my final year in high school, I've been thinking a lot about the study/career paths I want to take in the future. This year I'm supposedly am supposed to have thought out plan of what I want to do. Do I have one? No.  Not yet? 

I've always grown up thinking that I'd study art and go do artsy jobs. Things I've been interested in in the past are architecture, interior designing, illustrating and being a graphic designer. Lately, I've been doubtful about my choices.

I've kind of lost interest in being anything in the house related building industry. I mean, I still love looking at houses and beautiful architecture but I don't think I'm fit for it. Same goes for being a graphic designer. I saw a bunch of examples of student work from universities before and I felt,

"Uh...that's not really what I want to do..let alone study it." 

I'm still holding on to the dream of being a successful illustrator though. 

Another thing that's dampen my hopes and dreams (lol) is that I've seen a handful of articles and people saying that studying art and getting a degree in it is absolutely useless as you don't have  a huge field of career options after you get out of university. The truth of that statement is what saddens me. 

There really aren't many opportunities unless you want to be a freelance artist which is pretty hard to start up. You are probably going to need a part time job just to keep up with your incoming bills...and your need to buy art supplies...

Also, people say that it's much better for you to practice art and develop by yourself whilst taking a different and safer option in university. But honestly, where does that bring you? To me it's just as useless. Yes, you'll have more job options but if you don't enjoy it, there really is no point. 

In addition, you can do everything on the internet these days and although it has its perks, it also has its cons. Example: Some people don't need to hire interior designers as nowadays we have apps and such that can do the design inspiration part for you. 

Amazing yet disappointing at the same time.

Saying this, I'm still unsure of what to do and what to choose. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment