Natural

photo

"There's always flowers for those who want to see them."

- Henri Matisse



There's a sort of calmness that comes with being connected with nature. Just being surrounded by it, brings a sense of 'soul cleansing' if you could even call it that. I've been adoring the ocean like crazy lately. It carries comfort in the forms of its shape, movements and sound. 

Growing up being constantly surrounded in the hustle and bustle of the city life is mentally exhausting. With it too, comes an unintentional and irrational fear or discomfort at the thought of being away from that same environment we are so tired of. 

The comforts, the convenience, the connection. 

Every once in a while, I feel an immense sense of wanting to go back and experience the environment at its most natural state. Far from the things that pollute our lives here, and bring back the energy we used to have before nature slowly disappears to make space for things that are inherently just the same. 

There is something I crave from watching and hearing other people's stories about living in nature-rich places, where people live minimalistically and seem to be much healthier in all ways. In the same  way the privilege I get from living in the city is its luxuries, theirs is a different type of luxury. 

They say the New Year is for the new you, and you know what, I've never been one to create resolutions or set goals of any sorts really, but for some reason I've been totally bitten by the surf bug.
All I've been doing is watching a huge amount of surf films. I don't even think I've watched enough.

Now, despite my already existing fear for the oceans depth, I literally dream of being a surfer. Just through the videos, I can already feel something so freeing about it. The fact that you can already tell how free and in love the are when they're out there, makes me remember that there's always joy in the smaller things in life and that it doesn't always have to come in the form of material or money.

I think that's always an essential thing to remember, that our live's worth and happiness should not be tied to objects but to your own feelings.

Still, this made me realize that until I find something that I can feel connected to, I can never really achieve true true happiness. "Live Passionately" they say. Specifically, that's what Monsta Surf's documentary is titled lol. I'm so in love with that film I can't even tell y'all.

Though most would say being 20 is still considered young, there's a sort of pressure, at least in myself to have accomplished things that other people have at the same age or younger. And I'm not even talking about getting jobs or promotions or being famous and whatever, I just wish I had experienced more of the world and had more stories to tell. I know life plays at a different pace for everyone but I can't help but want to have collected more memories of doing things I'll be proud of at 70.

I want to travel the world again with my family, or my friends, whoever really. Experience the world the way it really is. Embrace the differences, both consciously and hidden, not only in the environment but its people. I'm more than grateful to be blessed in being able to step into new countries and continents all over.

But I think the essence of the places I've travelled to were never captured properly. Back then for me, the priority was always to look good on Instagram photos, showing off where I've been and how good I look whilst I'm there. It was always me, me, me, and not even taking photos of my own family and now it hurts think back on how selfish I was and what almost a waste of an experience it has become.

On the bright side though, at least I'm now increasingly motivated to make an effort to really catch these precious memories on film and keep them for future's sake.






0 comments:

Post a Comment